Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Honeymooning in Hawaii

I want to say a very special thank you to my parents for all the help they were while we were gone. They handled the kids, school, homework, baseball, church, choir practice and Rich's business. The boys haven't stopped talking about all the fun that they had. Thanks mom and dad...for all you did. It sure made it easy to relax. You are a blessing and we know how fortunate we are to have you there for us.
So, Rich and I celebrated eleven years of marriage this past week on the beautiful island of Maui. This has been a dream of ours, actually since we took our first honeymoon. I don't want to down play the romantic drive to Colorado at 21 years old, leaving my parents standing in the driveway of my childhood home at 2 a.m, driving a U-haul truck full of my bedroom furniture, towing my "race car" (aka 1986 Toyota Camry) while frequenting truck stops to pee... and I should mention we were in a hurry to get there, as neither my new husband or I had a job or a dime to pay our new found rent, but....Hawaii was better. Yeah I know...it was a toss up for me too. We couldn't help but run into amazing views and awesome photo opportunities with every turn. This was our first evening venturing out...and more importantly where I concluded it was pointless to to anything with my hair out of the shower. Not a great hair place for me...but you can bet I got over that really quick. You'll notice my new hat in the slide show to follow.
I did a short run in the mornings (most) followed by the most incredible swim ever!! It puts any other open water swim I have done to shame...(gotta love red tide in HB). I was swimming just a few feet from the shore, the water was so clear and full of beautiful fish. Rich finally got over the fear that I would be eaten by a shark and stopped walking along side of me (after a couple days mind you). The upside? He got some great photos and people probably thought he was my coach...you know, minus the stop watch or instructions of any kind other than "Are you tired babe? Are you ready to get out?."
Here we are (my feet and I :) lounging at the pool. Rich was in the jacuzzi after a snorkel. We just couldn't get over how relaxed we were...but the two of us kept imagining how much fun the kids would have had on this trip too. They'll be on the next one for sure.

The Road to Hana was pretty incredible. It was an all day trip into the rain forests of Maui and the quaint little village towns on the island. We were amazed to see tiny shack like homes amongst what had to be multi million $$ homes on our excursion. These small villages bordered the shoreline and were occupied by generations of natives who are very proud of where and how they live. Banana bread, fresh fruit and hand made crafts were a big seller to tourists . The Food was delicious.
Like I said...the scenery was breathtaking, the sunsets setting the tone for a perfect night.
It was fun playing with my dad's little camera and ISO to get different versions of the same type of shot. I picked my favorites for the stills.
This was taken on our last night there. It was then that we decided it would be great to just have the kids shipped to us. All good things must come to an end...and this was great!
Right after I took that last sunset picture, I turned around to walk up the beach and saw this! The picture is pretty cool, but does not do this sight justice. We are so thankful and blessed to have taken this trip...to reconnect with no interruptions in a gorgeous place... to crack up laughing, to revisit that first honeymoon (that really was fun at the time), and to remember all the reasons the Lord has chosen us for each other. The rainbow really just summed up our trip and was the last picture on my camera. We are grateful and give Him the glory!!

Mahalo babe!
Until next time...Aloha!

Check out the slide show below

6 comments:

Our Three Peas said...

Love all the pictures and the great story! I am so happy for you guys!! I have to admit that I have missed you terribly...but I am so happy my friend and her great hubby got to take such an amazing trip! Love that Rich walked along side you on the beach as you were swimming the first couple of days! I can just picture that in my mind! LOL Glad you had a blast my friend but also glad to have you back! :)

Luv Ya,
Ash

Phaedra Cote said...

Thanks for sharing your trip.....oh, how I love Hawaii! I was laughing really hard at your description of your move to Colorado. Good times, good times.

I do think there are perks for waiting so long to get there. For one, I think you appreciate a trip, alone with your husband SO much more when you have kids at home......not only do you appreciate the uninterrupted time but also are able to imagine how it will be when you bring them back. It also gives you more patience for those obnoxious kids making noise on your vacation....thank God they aren't yours ;)

Seriously though, I think this trip was well deserved and well appreciated too. All in good time.

Happy Anniversary!

Love you,
Phaedra.

Annie said...

Jess..How awesome!!! THe pics are amazing. I am so jealous of the two of you going by yourself. I am glad you enjoyed every second.You deserve it...

The Miller Clan said...

WOW! What beautiful pictures! I am so glad you enjoyed yourselves. Can't wait to hear more about it. WE'll have to get together soon. WE had a very "mini" version of your trip this weekend and it was wonderful. I am jealous! I wish we could have been there too! Maybe for our 10 year we will be able to! See you soon.

The Weaver Family said...

All the pictures look so pretty.Did you have the best time snorkeling or what? And might I say how cute you look in that brown dress! Hhmm..somebody has excellent taste !!
No I couldn't get the pictures to upload so I did the slide show, guess I could have thought of that a few weeks ago! Oh well,its a good thing I have my good looks & sense of humor to work with!!
Here's a shout out to "Snap on Tools"...always got your back Rich !! Love you guys

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Placa de VĂ­deo, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://placa-de-video.blogspot.com. A hug.