Tuesday, August 18, 2009

A little time to reflect...

And when I say "a little", I'm not messing around. Are you ever so busy with your usual activities...or planning the usual activities, that you don't really realize how busy you are until someone else points it out? I think that's me most of the time. Oh, it eventually catches up with me...and I would imagine this Fall it might be quicker than normal. My dad cringes at the thought of the schedule we keep around here (although he needs reminded of how it was when we were kids once in awhile). My mom did all the same running around...getting us here and there...sports...homework...youth groups...ya diddy ya! All this while working a very successful business mind you. Since I'm not "working" (or at least not getting paid for being a wife, mother, maid, nurse, tutor, counselor, secretary, athlete) I decided this past Spring that I would go back to school. You know...because of all the extra time on my hands. I just didn't know how "back to school" I was gonna go until I signed up for a POWER WALkING class that landed me on the Cross Country team. What?!? I know....seriously, I just needed a couple PE units and here I sit....or run, rather...with some pretty young, fast bodies. And while I'm not sporting a Varsity Letterman's jacket...I am wearing a C.O.D tank top that says "Run Cross Country, It's cheaper than lipo suction!" It may be cheaper, but if I actually had the money? Yep, from far away while running in a group, I look just like one of "them". It's when one of the football players is just about to give you a whistle (or is it a holla?...gotta keep up with the cool talk) and you know he saw the crows feet, cuz he tips his sideways wearing hat and says "hi mam"...ouch! So I look cute from far away...could be worse!

So in my little time to reflect....I have been thinking that I'm excited to see what I'm made of. I'm excited to show my boys that mom has more to offer than pancakes!

Rich's grandpa puts many things into perspective for me. This life goes by so fast...and while I don't want to be so busy that I miss out on what is important...I want to make sure I leave behind those things that are important.


And so I have decided when I'm and "elder", I want to be just like grandpa. While I might trade the suspenders in for a cute sweater set and corsage....I'm sure I'll have plenty more time to reflect...prayerfully with not many regrets.


2 comments:

Julie McRedmond said...

very cute my friend and very true.
you have inspired me to come up with something that my boys can be proud of this Fall.....just not sure what it might be. and i hope it is not December by the time i can actually sit to figure it out.YOU ROCK!

Annie said...

I here you my friend.. I am so glad you feel good enough to run with them. I am trying to keep up with ya there..But, I will tell ya..my ankles and knees are killing me. When did this happen. I, too, am determined to keep running and finishing half marathons. One day , maybe I will do a full. But for now, Brady thinks every race I run, I am going to win. Poor little thing..he doesn't understand that 4,000 people are running with me..LOL Keep running girl...