On our way to one of Brennen's baseball games a couple of weeks ago, Brennen asked, "Mom, do you think I'll ever hit a home run?" I said, "well Brennen, it's not easy to do, but I'll bet someday you'll hit one." Then Brennen said, "What about the game ball mom, do you think I'll ever get that?" Okay moms, you know my heart was breaking just a little. I said, "Brennen you just try your hardest every game and I think you'll get it before the season is over." I knew the coach would make sure each child received a game ball, but if you know Brennen...then you know that he wants to earn the game ball...not just have it handed to him because it was time. Well, that game Brennen played his little heart out. He ran as fast as he could, made several great stops and throws. But this was not his time. Again, a little tug at the heart for mom...just knowing he was giving it all he had!
Last Wednesday, at the following baseball game, I was telling my friends Ashley and Heather this story about Brennen and his desires, and I said, "I just want him to feel good about getting the game ball." Just then my little man walked up to the plate and hit a line drive right.... Rich was 3rd base coach and told Brennen to "run Buggy". You know I was yelling! He was cutting it close, but Rich had him keep running to home plate as the ball was being thrown to the catcher. The catcher missed the ball, and Brennen was safe at home! Oh yeah, I cried. I ran over and gave him a big hug...and when I went back to my chair, my girl friends knew just what I was feeling, as they had tears in their eyes (for me I think). As you may have guessed by now...Brennen also got the game ball! As the coach handed it to him he said, "here's to the newest member of the home run club!" This was a great day for the Lenarth family! It's the little things that count sometimes...and that can bring so much joy to our lives. For these....I am thankful!
Until next time....

Risa We Love You!
13 years ago





4 comments:
Way to go Brennen!! And, proud of you too momma...way to be an awesome encourager!! Love ya!!
jor
Jess, That is so awesome. I completely understood every emotion you were feeling when talking to Brennen. I have had those similar conversations with Brady. I think to myself... you will grow so fast.. I have learned we can not shield our children from disappointment, anxiety over the goal at hand, or thier little hearts, as they where them on their sleeves. We can only do what you did.. sit back and encourage and teach them how to handle the moment. You are an awesome mommy.
Your boys are lucky to have you.
Awe, that was a tear jerker! Great job BUG! What a great story....he's such a hard worker and definitely earned the "game ball".
lots O love,
Phaedra.
Post a Comment