Wednesday, May 28, 2008

A need for speed!!

Rich and I had the time of our lives this past weekend! He had purchased tickets for "A Racing Experience" a few months back, to use as sales incentives for his business. He just so happened to end up with a couple left over, so we decided to head out to Fontana Speedway to check it out.
To make a long story short...after a 45 minutes class and a couple times around the track in a van to get a feel for it, I drove 10 laps in a NASCAR while racing 9 other cars (all men) and went 155 mph. (Pheadra will love this...she loves going fast :). I think the toughest thing for me was making lane changes without signaling or checking my blind spot....not how it works in NASCAR apparently. It was insane!! It took me a couple laps to get the hang of it (and to breathe), but after that I was just getting warmed up when I saw the checkered flag.
Rich was next and was in his element! I think it came very naturally for him. He probably couldn't get over the fact that the person in the passenger seat was actually telling him to go faster...but I guess it would have been odd for that guy to have said, "Honey, slow down...you're not a race car driver."




In this picture, we are trying to tell if I need a different steering wheel or just a few cushions so I can see out of the windshield. Turns out I needed both. Hey you can't be to safe (or short) driving NASCAR right?


Rich is having his picture taken by the photographer before he takes off. They take one of you sitting in the window, one with your helmet on sitting in the car and one of you crossing the finish line. By the time we got out of the race car, the photos were developed, matted and framed. They turned out great too!



Here are the boys watching their daddy climb out of the #1 car. They were amazing and so patient all day. It was much longer than we had anticipated, but we only heard a few grunts and groans. Once they saw us in our race gear...they were pretty fired up. I do want to mention, that after I got out of the car, totally pumped at what I just did...Bryce said to me, "Mom, why were you going so slow?" WHAT?!? Apparently 155 mph wasn't fast enough for him. You can bet there wasn't a man on that track that was going to go home having let me beat them...so we'll just say I made them look fast.

Check out Brennen's homerun post below if you haven't already...

Until next time...

6 comments:

The Miller Clan said...

Wow! How awesome! I don't know if I could have done that, but I know that Jimmy would have. We will have to do that someday. The pictures are wonderful. Thanks for sharing.
See you tomorrow!
J

Jacobs' castle said...

SO PROUD OF YOU GIRL!!! You, like I have said before, are my hero!! So would love to do that too, give those boys are run for their money! Can't wait to see you again....let's get some Taco Bell!! HAHA I will get the tortillas, you get the beans, on the side of course! Love you!

Jor

Annie said...

You go girl!!! That looks awesome...
There is one to keep up front in the memory bank... Refer to it often when you are feeling defeated by your children... LOL

Christine said...

SO FUN! My sister would LOVE to do that! The pictures are great and I am so happy for you and Rich to get to make those memories together and for your boys to see you taking time to enjoy each other. I love it! Hope to see you soon.
Love ya,
Christine

Phaedra Cote said...

Alright, you're right....that looks like WAY too much fun. I'm just wondering how long it will take Bryce to find a way to get in one of those...

You look like one, hot nascar driver! How cute are you, trying to see above the steering wheel? CLASSIC.

155mph still sounds fast to me!

XO,
Phaedra.

Aaron and Lyndsey said...

Yikes! Aaron and I once went 100mph on our motorcycle and it felt like my fingernails were going to rip off. It is always fun to do something that you never thought you could.