Monday, January 28, 2008

Balcony People

I recently ran across a book that was given to me as a teenager. One that really made sense and helped define friendships that will last a lifetime. It's called 'Balcony People'. Balcony people sit in the balcony of your life. They are up... watching and cheering for you...and they pull you up to where they are. They are excited for your accomplishments and are happy for you when you are happy. Basement people can unknowingly suck the joy out of you...or be a constant source of negative information. Many basement people are completely unaware of the bitterness they may exude at times.
Are you a balcony person or a basement person? No...none of us are perfect, but let's challenge ourselves to be the best balcony people we can be.
Thanks to all of you hangin' in my balcony!!
"In my friend...I find a second self!" -Isabel Norton
Until next time...

11 comments:

Our Three Peas said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Our Three Peas said...

Sounds like a good book! Love the picture! Did you take it?
Ash :)

The Miller Clan said...

I would love to read this book...I've been wondering about a few people in my life lately...this would be interesting to read. May I borrow it?
J

Anonymous said...

Linda said...
Jessica,

..."a lifetime's not too long, to live as friends!" You are a balcony friend and always will be! Being a balcony person is a lifetime commitment to oneself and others to be an authentic & transparent friend who can reach out to grab the hand of another and pull them towards their God given purpose with their life! No easy task. Yet priceless deposit in the relationship bank account. A true friend!

I am so proud of you, Jeni & Jen for what you so thoughtfully did for your mom on her birthday. She is truly blessed to have you all in her life. You all honored her with deep respect, love and appreciation for who she is in your lives as mother, as mother in law. Says a lot about all of you. What a gift!

i am proud to be your balcony friend!

January 29, 2008 7:06 AM

Christine said...

Michael W. Smith- the song brought back so many memories for me. We sang that musical at church! I loved the sentiment in your post. While it is not always easy to a "balcony friend," it is through those people that God can have "skin" on our lives. He has truly blessed me with your friendship- especially after all of these years. Thanks for the reminder- I'll try to keep myself "out of the basement: :-) Love you Jess.

Christine said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Annie said...

Jessica,
What an awesome message. I swear God sends you to me when I most need it. Either you call out of the blue, or you write something in a post, whatever the timing, he knows. You have always been a balcony friend to me, and I only hope I have been to you too. Thanks for all the wonderful years of friendship.
God blesed us both!

jessithompson said...

Your words were so powerful to me this morning that they actually caught me off guard. Thank you.

I think of relationships like a target you use for playing darts. In the center (the bullseye) are your closest family of choice (blood relation not a requirement) - who get a true look at your soul. And as the rings dissipate, so does the intimacy in the relationships... and at the outer ring sits the grocery store clerks and the people who have deeply hurt you - who get your politeness. The best part is, you can move people in and out at will. You are in control of the change. So you don't let the 'basement people' suck all the joy out of your life.

Thanks for the visual of being a balcony person. A perfect way to start my day.

Begin to Breathe said...

Thanks for the sweet messages girls!! I will always be in your balcony...and annie, thank goodness HE does know what we need when we need it-cuz i sure don't!!
Love you guys...

xoxo
jess

Phaedra Cote said...

Hey Balcony girl....I know I'm a little late, I've visited this post a few times but wanted to find a good time to sit down and comment.

Anyway, you have always been my balcony friend....but even more than that. Balcony sounds so far and you have always been right there for me, pulling me up and holding my hand along the way (even thought geographically far). I know that you are the one I can call when something great happens and you're cheering right along with me. When things are rough, you are there to feel my pain along with me and understand me-I really believe you get me. I think our lives are SO similar in so many ways that we have a great understanding of each other.......in you, my friend-I do find a "second self" in so many ways. I think we've talked about that one a lot.

Thanks for always being my balcony friend, I cherish our friendship.

love you girl-
Phaedra.

LORIE said...

Thank you for the inspirational post.