Some of you may remember that Brennen was in his school spelling bee back in November. As the winner of the 1st grade class, he qualified for the ACSI spelling bee in Riverside. Needless to say, we have been spelling EVERYTHING for the past few months! Rich and I wanted him to have fun with it and do his best....we definitely didn't want him to feel pressure from us to do well. Such a hard thing sometimes as a parent...a very fine line to walk. Here he is pounding a juice box before the bee began.
Have any of you ever been to a spelling bee? (I know the suspense is killing you :) I had only seen one on t.v., and even that got my nerves going. I have to say that this was one of the most nerve racking experiences of my life. It's all so serious too. The parents were warned about talking, cell phones and exiting the room. No writing tablets, cameras, video equipment or dictionaries of course. They said if there are any parents that are unable to keep quiet, they will be asked to leave. Wow...I was ready to throw up before it even started. So while I couldn't take any pictures of him in the bee, I can tell you that he was such a little man...so focused, loud and clear with his spelling. I held my breath every time he was up...and I have no idea why. With each child that misspelled a word my heart would sink. There were the kids that walked off with a smile, glad it was over. And there were the kids that were devastated. Witnessing the parents hold themselves together for their kids was almost unbarable. Did I mention this was nerve racking? Okay...so the winner was not Brennen, but my little dude finished in second place out of 31 kids! Yeah Buggy! They went to an unpublished list of words (so they were words that the kids had not practiced) and the word that finally stumped him was 'violet'. He went out on a tough one I thought.

Have any of you ever been to a spelling bee? (I know the suspense is killing you :) I had only seen one on t.v., and even that got my nerves going. I have to say that this was one of the most nerve racking experiences of my life. It's all so serious too. The parents were warned about talking, cell phones and exiting the room. No writing tablets, cameras, video equipment or dictionaries of course. They said if there are any parents that are unable to keep quiet, they will be asked to leave. Wow...I was ready to throw up before it even started. So while I couldn't take any pictures of him in the bee, I can tell you that he was such a little man...so focused, loud and clear with his spelling. I held my breath every time he was up...and I have no idea why. With each child that misspelled a word my heart would sink. There were the kids that walked off with a smile, glad it was over. And there were the kids that were devastated. Witnessing the parents hold themselves together for their kids was almost unbarable. Did I mention this was nerve racking? Okay...so the winner was not Brennen, but my little dude finished in second place out of 31 kids! Yeah Buggy! They went to an unpublished list of words (so they were words that the kids had not practiced) and the word that finally stumped him was 'violet'. He went out on a tough one I thought.
(Emma for 4th place for 2nd grade and her sister Savanah got 4th place for 5th grade)
Here is Brennen with his teacher Mrs. Martinez. She is such a blessing to us! She practiced with Brennen everyday and even kept him after school one day a week...she was also a nervous reck. Funny thing...Brennen was fine. He was looking at his red ribbon and said, "hey mom, does this mean that I did good?" I said..."Uh, yah!"
Thanks for all the well wishes and phone calls this morning and for all the cheers this afternoon. Even 7 year olds need 'Balcony People'.
Thanks for all the well wishes and phone calls this morning and for all the cheers this afternoon. Even 7 year olds need 'Balcony People'.Until next time...





7 comments:
Yeah for him! How are you liking Jordan? I was in a spelling bee when I was in 3rd grade! I remember it being VERY nerve racking and ours wasn't even a very big deal!
Congrats!
Yayyyyyyyyyyyyy Bug!!!!!!!!! Good job buddy!We are so proud of you,for not only your excellent spelling ability but also just what a amazing boy you are! We love you!
I know you must be sooooo happy for him! Second place with all those first graders is AWESOME!!! I love that you did not put pressure on him, I think that really makes a point to teach him that though it is fun and things like this are great...it is not if you win or loose it is if you had fun doing it in the process! Great job Brennan, the Robertsons are so proud of you! :-)
Way to go BUG! That's awesome. Anytime anyone tells me I'm supposed to be quiet, I get the giggles...probably wouldn't have helped your nerves. What an awesome little dude he is......thanks for sharing, we're proud of you little man.
Love,
Phaedra
Jess,
That is so cool! I can only imagine how proud you must be of Brennen. I can't believe that he is in the first grade! Where has all the time gone? I love reading your blog and check it often! Take Care! Hope to see you soon.
lv, melanie
Jess,
OMG....He did so good. What a great day...You must be so proud. I know exactly how you felt in that crowd. I think every mom can relate to your words.. Have a great day and tell him Brady and I are so proud of him...
Annie
yeah brennen, good job buddy! thats what im talking about,you rock!!! you and me will have to have our own spelling bee i bet you'll beat me. i love you bro and i'm proud of you good job!! from uncle jim
Post a Comment